LSt Bill Upton survived the sinking of HMS Repulse 

HMS Repulse sinking

Dear Sir, I wonder if you have any information about what may have happened to survivors of HMS Prince Of Wales and HMS Repulse during the Japanese attack in 1941. I know my uncle, LSt Bill Upton survived the attack from information from my now deceased parents but I do not know if he was taken prisoner or rescued. No records remain, I appreciate its a long shot, but I wonder if you could help.

Many Thanks 
Richard Upton 

Dear Richard,

Your Uncle was a Leading Stoker and is listed on the HMS Repulse Association URL: http://www.forcez-survivors.org.uk/ as a survivor.

D KX 81699

The Destroyers HMS Electra and HMAS Vampire picked up Repulse survivors and took them back to Singapore.
From the Association pages.
One of the saddest and least mentioned chapters in the history of HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse is what happened AFTER the ships sank: Although a great number of her survivors were sent back to the British Isles, not everyone went along...for various reasons, a number were left behind. Many of these eventually lost their lives fighting the Japanese, or worse, as prisoners of war.

I am not able to unearth a list of who went where Richard.

How to trace those who served in the Royal Navy:

Tracing service records of men who served in the Royal Navy

    If you know the name of the serviceman, you may be able to order his naval service records. This answer comes in three parts:

    1. For up-to-date/accurate instructions on obtaining naval records for individuals who enlisted between 1873-1928, please consult the following online leaflet at the Public Records Office: Royal Navy: Ratings Entering Service Between 1873 and 1923. You can also submit enquiries to:

    Reader Information Services Department, Public Record Office,
    Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Surrey TW9 4DU
    (Telephone: 020 8876 3444)

    2. For information on obtaining naval records of a relative who entered the service between 1928-1938, submit written enquiries to:

    Ministry of Defence, CS (R)2A, Bourne Avenue, Hayes, Middlesex, UB3 1RF
    Telephone: 020 8573 3831, ext 341/342

    3. For information on obtaining naval records of a relative who entered the service after 1938, submit a written enquiry to:

    Ministry of Defence, H.M.S. Centurion, Grange Road, Gosport, Hampshire, PO13 9XA

    You should also understand that if the serviceman in question is still alive, then only he can obtain the information (unless he grants you permission in writing). Also, you should know that this can be a long process (up to 6 months), costs ¬£25 and that you will need documen

I hope this helps just a little.


back to letters index


This site was created as a resource for educational use and the promotion of historical awareness. All rights of publicity of the individuals named herein are expressly reserved, and, should be respected consistent with the reverence in which this memorial site was established.

Copyright© 1984/2014 Mackenzie J. Gregory All rights reserved